Saturday, November 16, 2013

Giving Thanks and Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies


{encouragement} Give thanks to God

136 Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever. 
Psalm 136:1

-----------------------------------------
It's a no brainer that we should thank God. Thank Him for the family we have, the food we eat, the clothes we wear, the job we have, the place we live in and the friends that are in our lives.  However, do we thank God for His Son, Jesus? Do we thank God for sending His perfect Son to live on this earth, take on flesh and only to be sacrificed for our sins? I do.  I am thankful that I can be here on earth knowing that I don't have to do anything to earn my place in heaven, my salvation.  Christ did that for me. He died on the cross to take on my dirt, my unholiness, my sin, so that I can be made perfect in God's eyes. If you want to see an illustration of what this means: you can see it through the Umbrella Analogy

A little festive project:

This coming Thursday will be the Thanksgiving feasts for my daughter's classroom.  I've signed up to do cookies and decided to make Turkey Cookies. This was a fun project because I was able to enlist the help of the little one.  Since there was some decorating involved I decided to keep it easy and not bake the cookie part from scratch. Instead I used the Trader Joes brownie mix and made a delightful Cream Cheese frosting (so so yummy!)

Thanksgiving Turkey Cookies with Cream Cheese Frosting


Ingredients:
1 box of Trader Joes Reduced Guilt Brownie Mix
2/3 Cup Yogurt
Skittles (Red, Yellow and Orange) for the "Feathers"
Black, Orange and Red Decorating Gel

Frosting Ingredients:

cream cheese frosting for sugar cookies.  Absolutely the best frosting for sugar cookies I have ever made.  My new go-to.

Instructions:

  1. Follow the directions on the box for the brownie mix. But using a cookie scooper, place them on a tray instead of baking it all together in a dish. About 15 minutes.
  2. After your brownies cookies cool, frost them with that delicious cream cheese frosting.
  3. Place 1 red, 1 orange and 1 yellow skittle in a row, three times for the "feathers."  Usually people use the corn candies but they didn't have anymore after Halloween so I improved and used skittles. 
  4. Using the black decorative gel, place 2 dots for the eyes, using the orange gel, draw the 2 little feet and 1 dot for the nose and a little red dot for the snood, the red fleshy part of a turkey.




This cream cheese frosting is so delicious that it's so hard to hold back and not lick it straight off the whisks.



Just having it plain and frosted is also an option, so delicious!


Here the "turkeys" are not really the most beautiful but it was worth the time spent doing it with my little Babester. 



A little blurry, but here is my Babester and her Turkey Cookie. She was enjoying every bite of this Turkey to the last crumb.



No comments:

Post a Comment